The origins of the castle of Bolgheri go back to the year 1200. Since then she is the property of the family of the Counts of Gherardesca. In the second half of the 18th century, restoration and improvements were made to the building and the cellars were built. In 1895, the facade of the castle was rebuilt, with the construction of the tower and the battlements, as we still see today. The castle and its surrounding lands were transferred by succession to the current family of counts Zileri Dal Verme.
The farm extends around the castle on an area of ??130 hectares, of which 50 are covered by vineyards; the remainder consists of land planted with 6,000 olive plants, sown soils and forests. Both sides of the courtyard are located on the famous cypress avenue, which is mentioned in the poetry of Giosuè Carducci.